Our Short Meditation To Reduce Feelings of Jealousy and Envy
The intention of this meditation is to help you with issues of jealousy or envy by wishing others well. The meditation video is about 8 minutes long and will guide the listener through a few exercises followed by a few brief periods for reflection. Some of the things covered include: absorbing the scope of someone else’s good fortune and celebrating their happiness as though it were your own. The practice ends with focusing on the good fortunes of people you don’t even know.
To listen to the meditation, simply press the play button on the video above.
The background music is 20 Blessings by Rebecca Reads Recordings, used under her Standard Music License.
Jealousy is when you count someone else’s blessings instead of your own.-Unknown
Other Ways To Cope When You Are Jealous of Others
This article on DevelopingGoodHabits.com explains the difference between jealousy and envy and lists 10 ways to help you stop being jealous of other people. They are:
- Own your jealousy.
- Accept the fact that loving someone involves the risk of being hurt.
- Develop self-awareness to recognize the direction where you are headed.
- Appreciate who you are.
- Heal your wounds and let go of the past.
- Learn how to free yourself from resentment and anger.
- Replace the negativity with something uplifting.
- Tell your partner you trust him/her, and really mean it.
- Don’t act on your jealous feelings.
- Learn to be happy alone.
To read more about each strategy in detail, please click the link to the original article above.
Other Ways To Stop Envy
BecomingMinimalist.com offers A Helpful Guide to Overcoming Envy. The author’s recommendations to live free from the negative effects of envy are:
- Shift your focus to the goodness in your life. (Our guided gratitude meditation can help with that!)
- Remind yourself that nobody has it all.
- Avoid people who habitually value the wrong things.
- Spend time with grateful people.
- Understand that marketers routinely fan the flame to foster envy.
- Celebrate the success of others. (Our meditation video at the top of this page guides you through this exercise.)
- Be generous.
The full article (linked to above) is definitely worth a read!
Envy is ignorance, Imitation is suicide.Ralph Waldo Emerson
Let us know in the comments below if our guided meditation to reduce jealousy and envy helped and if you have any other strategies you’d like to share.